Sunday, October 13, 2013


Terrance .. A Love Story
by Edythe "Edie" Hubler,  FOTAS Board of Directors


Ever wonder what your pet is thinking?  What they might say if they could answer you?  For those of us who have pets, we wonder about this daily.  Oh, if only they could talk!

Terrance came to the County Shelter bone-thin and sickly.  He is a pit bull mix, a breed with such a bad rap their adoptability is often limited.  But Terrance was loving and willing, so the staff wanted to give him a chance.  He needed to be taken out of the Shelter and nursed back to health.  Toni and Gary Urben, two of FOTAS’ most experienced and dedicated foster parents for Shelter dogs, agreed to help.

Dog foster parents are approved local animal lovers who provide love, care and attention for a homeless animal in their home on a temporary basis or until the dog is adopted.

Terrance flourished under their care.  If Terrance had a thumb, he probably would have written this letter of gratitude:

“Dear FOTAS,

You would be so proud of me - I have NOT put a single PAW wrong.  My new humans are kind, so I love them up and eat everything they give me.  I even roll over and let them rub my tummy!  They think that’s cute, and to tell you the truth, I like the rub down.  Even though they tease me and call me " Pumpkin Head, " I slobber them with lots of wet kisses.  They give me yummy marrowbones. I don’t even make a fuss when they take them away to move me into my crate.

My days are fabulous!  I lounge around and watch the horses.  I lay in front of a fan, which I like, and I get sprayed with Skin so Soft, which I do not like, but I act like I do.  I go for walks in the woods with the humans and their dogs and try to be exceptionally sociable.  They are now letting me off the leash.

I feel much better, and I look great now that I am bathed and a bit fatter.

Thanks for believing in me, 
Terrance”

So where’s the love story?   For Terrance, it’s his love for Toni and Gary.  For Toni and Gary, it’s the joy of saving another adoptable dog.  Toni says, “I cannot tell you how rewarding that first tail wag is, especially for those that come with their tails between their legs. When they lick you or just wiggle with joy over the simplest acts of kindness, it is way above the reward of giving them a short period of care.”  

Make your own love story.  Call FOTAS and become a foster parent.  The joy you give will only be exceeded by the love you receive.

Toni Urben, foster mom, and Terrance


FOTAS Volunteers work with the AIKEN COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER, 411 Wire Road.  For more information, contact “info@fotasaiken.org” or visit FOTAS on line at www.fotasaiken.org


Aiken County Animal Shelter:  “By the Numbers”

Sept. 30 - Oct. 5, 2013

5 dogs and 4 cats adopted

Year to Date:  

576 terrific pets adopted

THANK YOU AIKEN COUNTY COMMUNITY!


Aiken County Shelter “Pets of the Week!”
**All adoption fees include:  spay/neuter, heartworm test, all shots, worming, and microchip.

ARKANSAS -- American Bull Dog, male, 1.5 yrs old, 62 lbs. -- $70


TIGER -- tabby kitten, 13 wks old -- $35







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and input are always welcome. We appreciate any suggestions or thoughts that will help FOTAS with their goal to help the Aiken County Animal Shelter become a happy, healthy place that never has to euthanize an adoptable pet.